Community
Beauty in the Midst of Blight: the Sacred Sewing Room

Beauty in the Midst of Blight: the Sacred Sewing Room

A look out the widow of the Sacred Sewing Room... ...this begins the story of my trip to Detroit with the non-profit, Enchanted Makeovers. Founder and visionary, Terry Grahl, created Enchanted Makeovers to provide beauty in the face of blight for women and children...

Vintage Modern Challenge Winners

Vintage Modern Challenge Winners

After the whirlwind of excitement around the Vintage-Inspired Modern Style Design Challenge the past few months, I think I've finally caught my breath! Before I start running again (Quilt Market, anyone?), I wanted to take a minute to congratulate the winners and...

100 Years of Girl Scouts

100 Years of Girl Scouts

In 1912, Mary Brooks Picken was beginning her career as a teacher at the American College of Dressmaking in Kansas City. That same year, Juliette Gordon Low started the first branch of Girl Scouting in the United States, from her town of Savannah, Georgia. (hence the...

Coats & Clark: Happy 200th!

Coats & Clark: Happy 200th!

Coats & Clark is looking good for their age... This year the leader in thread and notions celebrates their 200th anniversary! Way to go! Besides being a long-time fan of Coats & Clark, I'm excited to celebrate this major milestone because of my muse, Mary...

Friends and Photos from CHA

Friends and Photos from CHA

I recently returned from CHA, the International Craft and Hobby trade show in Anaheim, and as always I'm filled to the brim with new ideas and energy! I have exhibited at the show in the past with my companies Indygo Junction/The Vintage Workshop and now attend this...

CHA 2012 and Lion Brand Fashion Show

CHA 2012 and Lion Brand Fashion Show

The CHA show in Anaheim was fantastic, as always! One of the events at the show that everyone enjoys is the Lion Brand Yarn Fashion Show. It's always exciting to see what new fashions will come down the runway — especially since most all of them are made entirely...

Inspiring Teachers

Inspiring Teachers

In my opinion, inspiration is a gift to be cherished, used, and then passed on to others. That's a huge part of why I share my experiences on my blog with you. While I draw much of my own inspiration from women of the past especially The Woman's Institute founder,...

The Handmade Experience

The Handmade Experience

Aren't we all just tired of things? Nobody wants to buy things anymore. We want experiences. These were words spoken in a panel discussion at the Creative Connection Event this past September. They attest to the fact that more and more people are understanding the...

Vintage Notions Comes to Life with Friends!

Vintage Notions Comes to Life with Friends!

During this time of year, I truly cherish the special relationships in my life. Things may get hectic around the holidays, but making time for lifelong friends can be a wonderful stress buster indeed. Here's an excuse to gather your girlfriends for an afternoon of...

How Many People Do You Know?

How Many People Do You Know?

How tech savvy are you? Social media diva? Facebook fiend? ...Or maybe a little unsure of how to approach the ever-changing world of online networking? You might think that social media is one topic my hero, Mary Brooks Picken, doesn't have much to say about. But...

Categories