VN Excerpt: Profiting from the Pajama Mode • Amy Barickman

Amy’s Blog

VN Excerpt: Profiting from the Pajama Mode

Whether they be so romantic as to demand a pirate’s garb or so nautical as to long for sailor’s togs . . . this quality of vesting us with new personalities may partly explain the lure of pajamas, but their quite general becomingness, as well as their very practical aspects, are also points in their favor. Materials range from sturdy cottons to luxurious silks, while colors are usually those bright, clear shades that appear best under direct sunlight, surrounded by wide, out-of-door spaces. All feminine America seems suddenly to have realized that the wearing of trousers is conducive to greater freedom, and so to greater joy. This discovery has started a new vogue, and now pajamas are worn on every possible occasion. They appear in the boudoir, made of washable silks and cottons for sleeping and of more elaborate fabrics for lounging. The beaches are teeming with bright-colored, picturesque types, charmingly individual in design and worn by those who prefer the sands to the surf. And college girls like nothing better than smart, colorful pajamas for lounging, study hours, and the social gatherings that mean so much in campus life.

* * *

The study of fashion is an area I personally find fascinating. I especially love the history of clothing and how it relates to the American woman’s story, from the stories of corsets that suffocated to the popular pajamas in the excerpt above. As you can imagine, “trouser-style” pajamas quickly became a favorite item in many women’s closets.

We all have favorite pieces of clothing that bring us joy. Maybe it’s because they are comfortable or stylish, or maybe it’s because they hold memories of a favorite place, time or event in our lives.

One of the most rewarding parts of creating this book is seeing people’s response as they flip thru the pages. I just talked to a buyer, Jamye, that I’ve worked with for years. She mentioned a crocheted poncho her favorite Aunt Nita created for her that was her cherished garment from her childhood. She explained, in great detail, the color, style and how much this handmade piece meant to her. It was her perusing Vintage Notions that inspired this conversation. This is what’s exciting and rewarding for me. This makes me feel very, very lucky. ~ Amy

* * *

For my commenters today…tell me about your favorite item of clothing – even pajamas – and why it’s your favorite. Tell me about why you love it, and/or the special memories attached to it.

102 Comments

1. Flatlander (Linda)

I had this navy blue cotton jumper dress with small white polka dots on it. It was a dropped waist style that you could wear a t-shirt under. It was “old” by some people’s clothing standards but it was my “go to” outfit whenever I wanted to be comfortable. I wore and wore and wore that jumper until it pretty much fell apart and I couldn’t resurrect it again. Still looking, to this day, for an outfit I loved as much!

2. Mary on Lake Pulaski

The illustrations are fabulous! I made a navy polka dot dress with a white linen vest that was pretty darn classy in it’s day!

3. Marianne

In the mid-80ties I bought a Liberty of London pattern book with 3 patterns, a pair of Palazzo pants, a T-shirt style blouse and a wrap jacket. I made lots of pants and tops but when my girls grew up they told me to wear more fitted clothes. Now 25 years later, with the girls moved into homes of their own I have dug out the pattern and I have started to make the pants and top again. At my age comfort is the key word! Funnily enough I have never made the jacket but plan to do so this winter.

4. Marna

My favorite piece of clothing would be the the piece of clothing my grandmother made for my favorite doll when I was about 6 years old. My grandmother made me several pieces of clothing, always with a matching piece
    for my doll. I don’t know what happened to my outfits or the other ones for my doll, but I do have the coat my grandmother made for my doll. It was made from one of her old coats. It is a little piece of family history.

5. Lindy

I love fashion history, too! Currently my favorite article of clothing is a pair of light wash denim capris. They go with everything!

6. Mary

I love all my many pairs of denim capris–I have dressy ones and ones for gardening and ones for around the house and ones for casual outings–you can tell I have a few and love them all. Sentimentally I still think of the darling Santa print flannel nightgowns my mom made for we three girls. I loved mine and wish I still had it just to make me feel a little closer to mom.

7. Dawn Edmonson @ The Feathered Nest

I remember when I was a young girl, my grandmother knitted me the most beautiful jumper! I had a gorgeous little blouse to wear underneath and it was filled with ruffles….I felt so special in this outfit ~ and even had my picture taken in it! My grandmother worked so very hard on it…and I loved it! xxoo, Dawn

8. Jennifer Zoeterman

my turquoise robe with a large friendly owl stitched on the pocket. It has comforted me through hospital stays,
    warmed me on cold evenings and tolerated morning coffee stains.

9. Beckey

I didn’t see my comment from earlier today, but sure want to be entered to win this book!

10. colleen

My old favorite is also probably the ugliest item of clothing I own! It is a gray cardigan, with pockets, without buttons. Whenever I clean out my closet I think I should get rid of it, but it is the first thing I reach for when I am cold. Obviously comfort is more important than looks!

11. julie jones

I love extra large t-shirts and my “boyfriend” jean shorts. They are both comfortable and since I do a lot of work around the house, they are certainly comfortable. I don’t know how attractive I look, but comfort is a must for me. I also like to wear my aprons. I have many styles and even make some myself. To me, aprons are never out of style. 🙂

12. Alice

You asked my favorite piece of clothing. It is not exactily a piece of clothing but it did protect many an outfit – of which all of them had some special meaning. It was my mother’s aprons and later became my aprons. Today, one can find many vintage apron styles from the full to the ones that just tie around the waist. I have made some of the ‘new’ vintage aprons that were once part of my youth. What can I say they not only bring about happy memories but continue to do so.

13. Marcia Gilbreath

When I was about 10, my brother (who was in the Army) brought back a dirndl, a traditional folk dress with apron, from Munich, Germany. I loved it, and was so upset when I outgrew it! I still have the apron packed away somewhere. It was most special because my brother thought of me when he bought it.

14. Beckey

I don’t even have to think what that might be. When I was 8 years old (late 50’s), I purchase a piece of fabric from a second-hand store. I was going to make a dress for my little sister’s 2nd birthday. I had her lay on the fabric and cut it out around her! I sewed it all by hand. I was so proud of it, and she didn’t want to take it off! We were so poor, but not really – I LOVED doing that for my sister.

15. Laura Haywood

My favorite items of clothing are my 3/4 sleeve T-shirts. Most have a printed design on them. So easy to wear, and they look great with pants, capris or skirts!

16. Jane

A green sweater set that was very warm and comfortable, I still look forward to wearing it.

17. Carla

When I was a girl I had a favorite pair of pajamas that had gotten so thin (but hadn’t torn). I’m sure they looked terrible but I just loved them. My mother got disgusted and put them into the rag box. But she’d made the mistake of leaving them whole, so I dug them out and wore them a while longer. They were so comfortable – like comfort food for the body.

18. Troy Louise

I love all kinds of pajamas. But, right now I love wearing my black yoga pants after I get home from work. They just feel so good. But, my all time favorite was a circle skirt my mother made for me in 4th grade. How I loved to swirl about in it! Thanks for the good memories.

19. Nancy Collins

I love large mens dress shirts! These are so comfy. You can sleep in them, put on a pair of jeans or shorts and go about your daily chores! You can find many colors, prints,
    lorng or short sleeves in thrift stores or your husbands closet! Maybe even Dad’s! I have one that is special to me because it was my husbands…when I wear it, I feel like he is giving me a warm hug!

20. Susan H

My family wasn’t loaded with money, but we had a lot of “can do” spirit. When I was in high school, the big fashion craze was wool suits…the early 60s. My Mom couldn’t afford to buy one, but she made one for me. It was a surprise! When I woke up one morning, ready to dress for school, there hanging on my closet door, was a handmade two-piece wool suit. It was sewn in a large ” fall colors” plaid. All of the plaid was perfectly lined up at the seams and the jacket had a leather collar. Now my Mom worked full-time in Medical Records at an osteopathic hospital, which means that she made it at night after I was already asleep. The memory vivid and is a precious one to me especially since I lost my Mom 17 years ago. I wish I had a picture of me wearing the suit, but we lived in the moment so picture-taking wasn’t a big thing. Thanks for your invitation to share this memory. Susan

21. Kathleen Ash

My favorite pieces of clothing are, unfortunately ones I cannot wear. I still treasure the maternity outfit my mother helped me make when I was pregnant with my daughter 35 years ago. She came and stayed with us for a week and we sewed and sewed.(made about 5 pants and 5 tops) We could buy material at 4 yds. for a DOLLAR back then, and boy could we buy! Patterns were 25cents to 50cents. The outfit is a blue jacket with red piping on the collar and cuffs and down the button placard down the front. The bottoms were bell-bottom maternity pants with the stretchy panel. I embroidered flowers on the collar and down the front placard. My mom is no longer here, but every time I “unearth” that treasure I remember fondly that wonderful week with my mom and that wonderful time of my life.

22. Priscilla

Just love my vintage pj’s. I wear them to hang out around the house. I make my own so I can have just what I want!

23. Belinda

After years and years, I still can’t bring myself to part with a denim jacket I embellished in my college years. It is a very “punk rock” looking jean jacket with all sorts of pins and added trinkets…I added trims and patches and even some writing. Everytime I look at it, it brings back wonderful memories of those days and times with my good friends – I even remember collecting the items to added to it! I am pretty sure it will be in my closet forever.

24. Susan

My favorite piece of clothing is a red sweatshirt that I painted a large Santa face on – and I get compliments on it every year. I am most proud of his blue eyes. I had never painted a face prior to this and to get compliments makes me feel good. This is so comfortable and still fits and I am not looking forward to it wearing out.

25. Sherri S.

I have a vintage dress from the late forties that is my go-to feel-good dress. I feel grown-up and glamorous in it. Wish I could wear it every day!

26. carolee

My favorite sweater was one my mom handknitted for herself years ago. It was kind of a rainbow patchwork, but it was so bright and cheerful that it always made me feel good to wear it!

27. Anna

My favorite article of clothing is a candy striper apron my older sister made for me. It is made of crisp pink striped cotton. When I was a child I spoke of becoming a nurse when I grew up and so my oldest sister made this apron for me as a token of her faith in my dream. I’m not a saver of things but I have kept this. Knowing someone believed in me made me believe in myself and I was able to follow my dream.

28. Nita

Denim jeans, hands down. I put elastic through the back waist to snug them up (natural waist, of course). They are my ultimate, universal choice for most daily wear, especially now that I’m retired and can do as I like. Tough enough to work outside in, comfortable enough to curl up to read in, never split, seldom snag. I am so blessed to have gone to college in the 60s when jeans were THE uniform of the poor undergraduate. I embroidered many a pair for myself, hubby, even friends, to hide the holes and spread the love! I even keep a fairly pristine black pair for “dressier” occasions. George Will may be snooty about jeans, but I love ’em!

29. ChrisZ

Wow, I have many favorites but this reminded me of when I was a chubby 11 year old. My older cousin who had every new thing in the world would often give me boxes of things she no longer used. I went nuts over these! It’s how I got my first two piece swim suit and a very light colored used lip stick. The swim suit was gray with large polka dots and huge cups. Mom removed the cups and sewed a seam right down the middle. I loved it although I was teased often for being flat chested. To this day I love used clothing and alter what I need to. And I am so grateful to my cousin’s kindness and my moms sewing abilities! My fingers itch to sew!!! Thanks mom. I love you and MISS you so much!

30. Sharon

My favorite item of clothing is actually something I can’t sew! I love overalls- or farmer jeans. I began wearing them in the 80’s because I was doing a lot of pot throwing (the clay on the wheel kind – not the dishes on the wall kind!) and they protected my front from the spattered clay. I also appreciate the looser legs on my bum knee. I have at least 30 pair between long, short and jumper types.

The sad thing about my farmer jean fetish- they don’t really make them readily available anymore. I think Stacey and Clinton (What Not to Wear) have successfully convinced the world they are a fashion faux pas. Thank the good Lord for Ebay!

In all honesty- I think Mr, Green Jeans influenced my fashion style. It could have been worse if I’d emulated Capt. Kangaroo!

31. Sherri

This is a hard question…since I used to sew most of my own clothing…but my most favorite would have to be my daughter’s wedding dress which I sewed this past April for her wedding in June. I combined two patterns, and it turned out exactly as she wanted!

32. Sherri

Favorite item of clothing…this is a hard one! I used to sew most of my own clothes (other than jeans)…but I guess my most favorite is my daughter’s wedding dress which I just made this April for her June wedding. I combined two patterns, and it came out exactly like she wanted!

33. Susan

One of my favorites is a Kaffe Fassett cardigan that I knit about 15 years ago. It is artsy, well made and I am proud of my handwork.

34. Lauralee Hensley

You know as much as I love pajama’s, I only have one pair. I used to have two, but I totally wore out my red and white checked flannel wonderful, soft, warm, extra comfortable Karen Neuberger brand of pajama’s. I mean I had those for close to ten years I think before they finally started wearing, and I got a couple of stains on them I couldn’t get out. Silly me I was painting some gifts in them. I don’t think pajama’s were meant as an artist’s paint clothes. Yet, they do give you freedom for inspiration because of the comfort factor. After reading this post, I definitely need to think about getting me some more pajamas, some for each day of the week.

35. Kimber

My favorite item of clothing is a scarf in my favorite shade of green that a friend knitted for me. The workmanship is exquisite and it always keeps me warm on those cold winter Iowa days.

36. Karrol/Kiki von Tiki

I have so many old favorites, from a old grey teeshirt that’s worn in and feels like part of me, to a beautiful silk kimono robe that I don’t wear often enough, to my newest favorite dress that I just finished making. It’s from a vintage ’60s Polynesian Pattern – a sheath with giant bell sleeves. I used a bright and fun hula girl/tiki print and lined the sleeves with bright orange! So fun! I love clothes with personality that say something about the wearer.

37. Colleen B

I love my comfy, soft pajamas! I can’t wait to put them on at the end of the day.

38. LeAnne

I had a long nightie as a child; it was made of cotton knit fabric with little flowers on it. As I grew, I refused to give it up and eventually, when it reached my knees and I could hardly get it on anymore, my mom had to throw it away. I just loved that soft comfy nightie!!

39. Barbara Godfrey

My Hubby and I own a beautiful but drafty old Victorian home in NY. In the winter to save on heating expenses, we heat only the rooms we use, and then keep the temperature quite low. When we come home from a long and late work day/evening, I love to slip into my fleece bath robe until I warm up. My hubby and I live in fleece at home all winter. I love all the wonderful colors available.

40. Karin

I LOVE the pajama article – and the illustrations are great. Thank you for sharing!

41. LynnM

My favorite is jeans, or denim capris, probably because we had to wear skirts to school until I was in high school, and I’ve worn them as much as possible ever since.

42. Lisa

I had an oversized, worn-out t-shirt I wore for many years as a pajama top. It was soft and comfy. My daughter now wears it. Even though it is torn and threadbare she refuses to part with it! It’s like she wants me close to her in her sleep.

43. Jennifer Gouldsmith

This is really silly, but my favorite item of clothing would be my husbands wore out t-shirts. I always sleep in them. They are the softest things I own. My husband always laughs because I wear them until they are threadbare and almost indecent.

44. Carla H.

I must say that I really am in love with how linens feel and wear and little white cotton shirts always feel clean and classic. BUt, it really is difficult to move away from well-worn denim jeans and cotton t-shirts. I’m really NOT in love with synthetic or blends of. Great book, can’t wait to put one in my hands!

45. Rhonda

My grandmother always made a special flannel nightgown for my Christmas present. Just the thought of those gowns brings those wonderful simple memories of Christmas. I am now doing the same for my grandbabies. Last Christmas it was flannel john deere fabric, of course pink j.d. for the girls.

46. Patty Ojeda

Along with everyone else, my favorite is my flannel PJ gown. It is a pullover dress that goes all the way to the floor and is so very soft, warm, and comfortable! I would wear it all day if I could get away with it! I love how soft it feels against my skin. Can’t wait for summer to be over so I can get it out of the closet and wear it again!

47. Jacque

My favorite is my bright pink, oversized plush robe! It is so comfortable that it is hard to get dressed in anything else on a cold morning! I love the color, too, sort of raspberry, so that I feel like I don’t look dreary in the morning. Have you guessed that I am not a morning person???

48. debianne

I love cool, comfortable gown for the summer. Soft cottens with pretty pleats.

49. Kitty

My favorite item of clothing for myself was probably a Green leave printed Jumper I made in High school with a pumpkin colored blouse.
    I felt very dressy in that outfit.

I think my favorite item of all time might be the cute white bonnet I wore on all my girls when they were infants. I sure was sad when they outgrew it.

Alternatively there was the EXTREMELY cute jumper I had for them which looked like a yellow jumper with footies made of babywale corderoy and which had attached sleeves and collar that made it look like an outfit. it was sized for a tiny infant so they probably outgrew it by the time they were six months and I was pretty sorry I only had three girls. LOL

50. Loretta Houben

My favourite dress when I was 5 years old was a sleeveless pink satin one, with a black velvet jacket and a pink satin rose pinned on near the neckline. I felt so special wearing satin and velvet! I still have that dress stored in tissue paper.

51. Iris Soscia

My favorite clothes are Tee shirts and jeans. My favorite tee is navy blue and has a line of flip flops printed across the front . Iris

52. Kathy

My favorite is a pair of pants I sewed for myself, very similar to the “pajamas” of the article. They are made of a soft stretch denim with a full leg. They are pants, yet they are still feminine and flowing. Actually, I have them on right now and love, love, love them.

53. Kelli

wide leg cropped yoga pants… sooo comfy for lounging around the house

54. Renee Glass

I remember perfectly my apricot, knit pantsuit made my Mom in 1971. I loved it and made me feel so pretty. It was a tunic like top with short sleeves and pants that fit perfectly. My Mom was a very good seamstress. She past on that love for homemade clothes to me. And taught me how to have patience with sewing. Remember getting mad at my sewing machine and throwing stuff but she would take over in patience and show me how to do it right. I don’t throw stuff anymore and think of her when I sew.

55. Corrine Ann

Reading about pajamas,, reminded me that I have a cute one piece lounging pajama outfit that belonged to my mother from 1937) I have several pictures of myself (almost 1 year old…birthday 12/27/36)taken on Christmas morning with me sitting on the Rocking Horse that my Grandpa bought for me and Mom sitting on the floor in her pajama outfit. I still have the Rocking Horse too! I am going to try and find the pajamas….we just moved two months ago and I am not quite sure where they might be packed at this time. Thanks for the memories!

56. Marilyn Lennis

I love the pajamas I have on right now. They are soft white cotton with embroidered violets. They are so comfortable and look like old style women’s underwear with pantaloons and camisole top.

57. Heather

My favorite item of clothing is a pillowcase nightgown that my mom made for me when I was about 8 or 9 years old. It was simple…blue cotton with trim around the neckline & shoulder ties. She made my sister one too, and we wore them all the time. We just loved them! Now, I want to make my niece one, so that she can enjoy having her very own pillowcase nightgown. Especially cute if the pillowcase has a ruffle!

58. Joanna Cilli

I like knit pant sets. My closet it full of them. They are comfortable to wear, easy to wash and fun to embelish. I have decorated them with fabric, lace, buttons and other small items. I feel that they express who I am.

59. Kerry Leslie

My favourite piece of clothing right now is a men’s tuxedo shirt! It is crisp and white with lovely tucks on the front and that sharp collar detail. Very roomy, long, light and comfortable – perfect with jeans!
    Hugs,
    Kerry

60. Martha

My boys’ T shirts. I have saved special ones since they were little and now that they are in their twenty’s I will be making quilts for them.

61. carla

I’m not sure if a scarf counts, but I’m attached to my scarves, and have been for many years. When I was a rebellious teen I started wearing them, gypsy style on my head. While the other girls fussed with their hair – irons, blow dryers, gel – I would wrap a scarf around my head and be out the door. Now that I’m granny aged, I wear them turban style as well as my beloved wild gypsy ways. This summer was excruciatingly hot. Before I’d head out the door, I would drench it in geranium scented water, wrap my head, and be cool in the magnificent science of evaporation! And, a good scarf gets more beautiful to me as it ages. Everything about it softens.

62. Marsha

I hope you don’t mind if I list my favorite item as gowns that my mother made for my daughter’s when they were little girls. They are both grown women now and they still talk about those gowns and the matching caps mom made for them. They were red flannel and she gave them to them for Christmas one year in time to wear on Christmas eve. It’s a memory we all still treasure, including my mother who just turned 87 this week!

63. Kris Curtis

My favorite article(s) of clothing would have to be the smocked dresses I made for my daughter. Planning out the design, pleating the fabric and then smocking it is always my favorite part. When she would put it on and twirl and declare it to be “the best ever” is the other best part. 😎

64. Sheila R

My flannel pj trousers paired with a comfy cotton t-shirt. They are what I long to be in at the end of the day… and sometimes all day long if I can get away with it!

65. Melinda

My favorite for the last several years has been a blue knit shirt. One of my sisters embroided the letters “W I S H” on seperate patches and sewed them on the shirt. My sister did a beautiful job on it and I love to wear it. It is starting to get a tiny hole by one of the patches, and I know the shirt is starting to wear out. 🙁

66. Ruth

My mother knits slippers for all of her family. She has for years. She also makes them for her church bizare.They are always big sellers.
    They are so compfy and warm at night.

67. Debra Bopp

My favorite is always a nice broke in pair of jeans. Thank goodness for women who paved the way for letting us wearing pants!

68. Kathy Cooper

I have a red zip sweatshirt hoodie that I love. I have worn it for many winters over the years in the house over whatever I have on and it always makes me feel comfy and warm. It is now getting worn and fraying at the sleeves but I’m sure it still has a few winters in it and I have not been able to find anything quite like it yet to replace it with.

69. Donna Butcher

My favorite blouse is one my grandmother made me with a yoke of crocheted lace from back in the family and she hand stitched the yoke to the blouse and then put velvet ribbon thru the neckline. Sadly it does not fit anymore – but I still cherish it! Vintage lace and linens are a weakness of mine – I can’t get enough.

70. Linda

Pajamas…they are my comfort clothes. As a child we recieved a set for christmas and summer, only if we hadn’t outgrown the ones we already had. I remember putting my pajamas in the animal character bag after dressing and sitting it against my pillow on the bed. Now in my fifties I wear my pajamas to the barn, in very early morning to greet my horses and other four legged friends …yes pajamas are the perfect comfort clothes not only for ease of movement but memories of my little girls heart.

71. denise robinson

I don’t refer to my pants as “pj’s”. I love comfort. Using same pattern, I make Bermuda shorts, capri’s and long pants. I use all different kinds of fabric from knit to denim. I love my elastic waist bottoms 🙂

72. Lee Ann

My favorite clothing … For some reason it’s easier to remember my many fashion disasters! Actually, my husband picks out better clothes for me than I do! But I do remember a navy blue pencil skirt and a white oversized sweater that I wore with navy shoes with leather bows. Comfy and cute!

73. Deb

I have a “shrink” my grandma made me when I was 10. They were very popular & I was excited to have the latest style. It is a pullover vest & was like 2 crocheted granny squares with shoulder straps. It is white, yellow & blue. I still have it, along with a beutiful sweater my other Grandma knit me in my teens. They both made many handmade gifts for me & I still have many of them to cherish their memory.

74. Kim

I had a dress, when I was about 8. The memory of it still makes me smile. I wore it everywhere! I would climb our split rail fence and pretend I was a pioneer, making sure to spread it out all around me. It had a darker, tiny print on it, and a swirly skirt. My favorite part… dark brown velvet ribbon on the bodice, stitched from shoulder to waist, to form a “V”. There was a velvet sash, too. I loved twirling in it, out in the yard. It was the early 60’s. I still can’t believe I wore that dress out playing! I was so sad to grow out of it.

75. Karen

Like some of the others here, pajamas would be one of my favorites–flannel ones to be exact. Every year for Christmas Eve, my family opens their new flannel ‘jammies’ that I’ve sewn (always with the material they picked out on our fabric shopping trip). I started doing this 23 years ago and they look forward to these every year!
    The ilustration and preview article on the pajamas from your book look so interesting! I am eagerly looking forward to the book being released…

76. Kristy

I love my flannel nighties from my Dad. He has three daughters and every year for Christmas, we each get a flannel nightie that he picks out special for us. I am wrapped in love all year round!

77. Kathleen Sigg

I’ll never forget coming across a beautiful little coat in my mother’s closet (I was 16 at the time), with a little fur collar. All it needed was hemming. She started it when I was 4. But it was a lovely gesture. She did make many, many things for me over the years. LOVE vintage!

78. Harriet

My favorite piece of clothing is a aqua/teal skirt I purchased from Foleys / Macy a few years ago. The fabric is light weight it does not cling, it is cool, flowing . I still receive lots of compliments on the skirt . I love the pajamas on this post .
    I’m glad to see this style in some of our stores today. There fun with the prints they make today and make ladies look feminine .

79. Linda

I have a wonderfully soft over-sized corduroy shirt that I’ll slip on when I get home from work…it almost feels like I’m wearing a big hug!

80. Chris Davis

That would be a pair of yoga pants ai made in black linen-rayon fabric a few years ago — the first article of clothing I made for myself! I am still quite proud of those pants.

81. annemk

favorite clothing ~ my levi jean capris, so comfy

82. Marcia

Jeans, jeans, jeans! Any denim jeans, from my $3 WM markdowns to Liz & Ralph’s (priced considerably higher). But my absolute favorite pair is one which I can no longer wear–a pair of low rise bellbottoms from my college days (1965-1969). What kind of person would save a pair of jeans for 40 years, with NO HOPE of ever wearing them again? It’s not like they could be framed & displayed like a lacey little baby gown…or…could they?

83. Kitty

My favorite thing to wear is a soft cotton long sleeved t-shirt. I can wear it alone, under a sweater or jacket and it always feels good next to my skin. Just plain, old comfort–that’s for me!

84. Lori

I have a new college girl and yup they still love those pj type pants!

85. colleen

I LOVE pajama days! Laze-around i some beautiful soft jammies..and these are wonderful. Love the hat/jammie combo 🙂

86. Cecelia

My wedding dress will always be a favorite of mine. Even though I would need to alter it “a bit” to wear it today, I have fond memories of purchasing the beautiful fabric, hours and hours of construction (the pleats on the sleeves took the longest) and then feeling beautiful in my own creation.
    When planning my daughter’s wedding, my wedding dress as well as my mom’s wedding suit came out of storage and adorned dress forms in my sewing room as inspiration and a source of fond memories

87. valarie

I love to make Pajamas. I still make them for my kids for Christmas eve every year.

88. Kim Beldowski

I love to my comfortable cotton capris….
    Sometimes I applique a little something on a pair.

89. Cathy Wegner

I have a pair of Ralph Lauren jeans that I’ve had for a few years. They fit great and are very comfortable. They don’t make that style anymore so I try very hard to take care of them. I will be very sad when they get so worn I won’t be able to wear them anymore.

90. Karen Brown

I love comfy lounging pajamas. Living on a tight budget now so I do not get buy a bunch new so just wear the stretched out old ones.

91. Lisa N

I have some big furry coats from my mom’s estate. I plan to make bear rugs from them! She would love that!
    Lisa N

92. Judy Phelps

My favorite clothing item is a beautiful silk blouse I bought at a yard sale. I love how I feel when I wear it, and I love that someone paid a lot of money for it, but I didn’t.

93. Rise' St. Arno

Pajamas. I would love to have the pattern that is in the illustration. They are the most comfortable clothing I own. It’s one of the reasons I have an online shop…so I can work in my PJ’s.

94. Deidra Roe

I would love to know the date on the “pajama” article. Beautiful picture- so tasteful & elegant.
    My favorite piece of clothing is a new one- it is a cobalt blue tunic with a tiny pocket detail, it is made out of the newest blend of motul fabric- so soft and luxurious. It drapes beautifully and makes me feel gorgeous!

95. Pam P.

My favorite piece of clothing is a green cardigan that I cross stitched a cameo on. I’m so proud of it and love wearing it everywhere.

96. pat nathan

woo! i LOVE that illustration 🙂 the pajama-type pants are INDEED a favorite of mine, loose, flowing, comfy, and they make it possible to appear at the door in style when the doorbell rings 🙂 they get my vote for fave attire! 🙂

97. Joann Dittbenner

I have a heartwarming memory of the pjs my grandmother used to sew for us- each Christmas I and my brother would get new pajamas made of the softest flannel and they’d be so cuddly and warm; back in our day – early ’40s – we needed all the warmth we could get – we had a big old wood stove in the dining room – which heated the whole entire house and by morning it was mighty cool… til mom or dad would get up and add a bit of kindling to the left over cinders from the night before and get a fire started, and later adding the big chunks of wood; then we’d get up and rub our hiny’s against the side of the stove and we’d be warmed twice – once with the jammys to go to bed, and again in the morning when we’d get up. Those were the days, and although hard work to get ready for the long winters, I’d love to return to those days even if for a day – to feel it all over again. The comforts and warmth of handmade!

98. Rose Jeter

My husband and I are children of the 70’s and to this day when I think of my husband’s favorite pair of jeans it brings a smile to my face. He had a pair of jeans that literally had patches over at least 75% of them, he wore them all the time while we were dating and in our early years of our marriage. They were eventually put in a box in the attic and then years later when we were moving, without asking him I threw them out. I don’t think he has forgiven me yet for doing that and it has been at least 20 years.

99. Melissa

My favorite clothing item is a smock-like tunic with a snap front. When I come home, kick off my shoes, and take off my confining clothes, I reach for this top to pair with shorts or jeans. I wear it to clean house, garden, or just lounge in. It washes up well and has lasted for a good while now. When it gets threadbare, I may have to take apart the seams and use it as a pattern for a new one!

100. Cris Marsh

Lets see…I have several winter coats that were my grandmothers. My favorite is the long cashmere coat with a fur collar. I feel like I am getting a warm snuggly hug from my grandma when I am wearing it.

101. Diana

I love this little denim skirt that I picked up from the thrift store for a few bucks, and then embroidered some cute birds and flowers on it with my embroidery machine! Nothing like it in the stores!!

• Fran Demar

Hands down my favorite outfit is a retro pale green and cream Shantung silk pant suit. The top buttons up the back. My favortie wedding, shower, anything goes outfit. Think 1950’s..

Submit a Comment